Wednesday, December 18, 2013

A Few Factors In The Decision Making Process

  Who Makes The "Cut"?

 I've received quite a response from a discussion I recently started in the Hollywood Funds group on LinkedIn.  So large, in fact, it led to the formation of this blog.  I thought, "you know, Ron, it might be simpler to let folks know what you're looking for."



With that in mind, let the madness begin....

Realism ~ I'm not talking about the film itself, I'm talking about the realistic expectations of the filmmaker.  It's never a good idea to look at any project with a glass half full approach.  For one, you can't know what the public response will be to any film.  So saying, "I have the greatest picture on earth that everyone's going to love," isn't the best approach.  I applaud the confidence, but overconfidence has consequences.  

Identification ~ An email response is okay, but a phone conversation is much better.  I prefer getting to know the filmmaker, before physically seeing anything.  To me, it's really about fostering a relationship built on trust.  As much as I'm getting to know you, you're getting to know me.

Passion and Vision ~ What is it about your project that makes it so meaningful to you?  What can you do or have you done to minimize the risks?  How prepared are you, at this point?  For that matter, where are you with your project right now?  Again, this is information that I want to hear first.  You can prove it after we've decided there's a melding of the minds.  Yes, we will sign NDA's before you send anything over.  I thought I'd just get that out of the way.  

Future ~ I'm looking for filmmakers that we want to work with repeatedly.  Initially, we're looking for lower budgets.  That's not to say we won't go a little higher, it really just depends.  At this time, I won't entertain animations or science fiction films.  I'm on the fence regarding historical films.  

I'll put together more information on future posts, based on the responses I receive.  Yes, the posts will rely entirely upon you.  I'm leaving it in your hands, so don't be shy on LinkedIn.  

Cut to:  Hollywood Funds

  


No comments:

Post a Comment